Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pit Stop: The Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment Center at CHOP

First of all, I need to apologize. I never thought I'd actually be blogging this experience, so I haven't taken pictures to go along with this portion of our story. I promise I'll start so you all can visualize where we are and what we are doing. This is a huge sacrifice on my part as I hate pictures in general and will be 31 weeks pregnant tomorrow! I'm sure you will be bombarded with pictures when Mr. Miles gets here, though!

Now on to some more of the story:

My mother, Adam, and I left Pittsburgh and headed to Philadelphia on May 22nd to begin a series of appointments and testing in The Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment Center  at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.  The tests  are very intense, and many mothers get eliminated from being candidates for the surgery within the first day. Needless to say, we were all anxious to see if Miles and I would qualify. Thankfully, after a two and a half hour in-depth level 2 ultrasound, an MRI, an EKG and various other observations of both Miles and myself,  we learned that we were, in fact, in the 33%  of candidates who could and would  have the intricate surgery.

A very experienced team of doctors (including one of the best pediatric neurosurgeons in the country and one of the founders of fetal surgery) would cut into my uterus and actually see/work on our sweet baby boy. By patching his defect at 22 weeks gestation, we would prevent any more amniotic fluid from wearing away at his little spine. Because Miles defect begins at L4, the doctors seemed fairly confident that this surgery could help his mobility; it would also alter his Chiari and eventually push his cerebellum into the correct position.

By the time we left CHOP on the second day of consults, we had scheduled surgery for the following Wednesday, May 29th. We were obviously nervous because the surgery does not come without consequence. 13% of mothers who elect to have the surgery have to deliver before 30 weeks, and many do not make it to their scheduled c sections at 37 weeks. This meant that I would have to be on bed rest from the end of May until September. It also meant that it would be in Miles' best interest for me to stay close to CHOP until his birth. Unfortunately, his daddy would have to go home to work, and I needed an advocate to stay in Philadelphia with me full time. Thank goodness Miles' Grandma Donna was willing to give up her own life for at least three months to better the life of her grandson. I am certain that this is one of the greatest gifts our little man will ever be given!

Next up: Surgery Day! But here's a little spoiler for you: Miles (who is still cooking at almost 31 weeks), my mother, and I are currently hanging out  in our apartment in Center City, Philadelphia and passing time while on modified bed rest...though we always look forward to his daddy's next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment